All Saints Archive
All Saints' Church Sedgley has a variety of materials lodged with Dudley Archives in Tipton Road Dudley, by the Black Country Museum. They range from parish registers containing records of births, marriages and deaths from 1558 onwards, to documents relating to major changes to the church fabric.
One key aspect of the collection is our Parish Magazines, some of which date back to before the First World War - they offer a rare insight into the daily life of the parish over the past century.
Recently, a number of articles - researched by Christine Buckley over the 15 years her husband Revd Canon Stephen Buckley was the Team Rector of Gornal and Sedgley - have been deposited.
Some of these relate to the monuments and windows within the church - in most cases copies of the background source material are also available.
As well as photographing some of the noteworthy graves in All Saints' churchyard, Christine also documented the graves and layout of Tipton Street Methodist Church (now a financial services company).
There is a shocking report prepared for the local Board of Health of the devastation wreaked in the village by the Cholera epidemic of 1832.
Martin is currently spending Wednesdays at Dudley Archives, making an inventory of the materials, prior to cataloguing them.
Here's a random taste of the some of the wonderful memories captured for posterity during the research process.
An example of the detailed research now preserved in the All Saints' box at Dudley Archives. Christine frequently undertook research in partnership with relatives, into the background of some of our best known artefacts and monuments. This article relates to the donation of our pulpit in 1901, by 'Mrs Caddick of Bloomfield House'. The research can at times pick up changing economic patterns in the area - in this case James Whitehouse, in whose memory Mrs Caddick donated the pulpit, began life as a farmer in Tipton, then moved to Sedgley and became a brick-maker.
All the artefacts and muonuments that we tend to take for granted have a history, which Christine has helped to reveal - our pulpit was donated by a 'Mrs Caddick' in 1901 (see above).
The tenor bell is removed from the belfry in the mid-1970s, before it was recast along with the other bells in Loughborough. Our vicar John Linford went on a long walk along the extent of Offa's Dyke in Wales to raise money for the recasting. It was a major feat undertaken by church members and there are a series of photos documenting the undertaking.
Thomas Sheldon's grave - he is said to have developed the steel pen nib in the early 19th century, later becoming landlord of the Seven Stars in Gospel End Street.
All Saints' bellringers in February 1965.
An early line drawing design for the new church, which was eventually completed in 1829. At this stage an enclosed Homer chapel was envisaged, by the choir vestry entrance - yet it was never built. The Homer tombs remain outside to this day.
The Seven Stars in Gospel End Street, before it was converted to a private house.
The dedication of the Alan Younger-designed window at All Saints', showing the cycle of the seasons, by the Bishop of Shrewbury in 1975. The window was erected in memory of Madeleine Hives.
Roy and Linda Watkins commented: "The vicar as stated was John Linford, but the minister in the photo with the Bishop is Andrew "Bert " Collins. We are not sure whether Bert Collins was at St Barnabas or St Andrews at that time.
An appeal in the church magazine in the mid-1970s to raise money for the last remaining panel in the East Window at All Saints'. It appears this was done by asking members of the public to pay £200 for each of the 10 panels.